Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
Programme Associate/Research Analyst – Hydrogen
Terms of Reference
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart ambitious people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence as well as responsibility come together at CEEW
- You will get above-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Designation offeredProgramme Associate/Research Analyst
Reporting toProgramme Lead
The Industrial Sustainability and Competitiveness (ISC) team aims to support India’s low carbon growth aspirations by advancing the uptake of energy and resource efficiency practices as well as the use of energy source with low/no carbon footprints within the manufacturing sector. The ISC team is working on several different initiatives, which include – supply chain analysis of the natural gas infrastructure in India, building resilience and competitiveness in the micro, small, and medium (MSME) industry, and characterizing the industrial sector value chains to analyse various aspects such as carbon footprint, financial strength, resource requirements, and jobs supported.
The ISC team seeks to hire a highly committed candidate to build and expand our programme on hydrogen value chain research across a range of technical and policy areas. This role demands high quality research to provide direction, support, and insights to the policy planners and industry captains towards decarbonisation options. Candidate should have an active and self-directed interest towards emerging market applications such as fuel cell electric vehicles; renewable hydrogen for industrial decarbonisation, etc. She/he should be able to perform resource assessments, market projections, techno-economic analysis, risk-assessment, scenario comparisons, etc. The role offers an excellent opportunity to build and strengthen an emerging research area while collaborating with international experts.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
- To build data resources through active desktop research, intelligent web-scraping, and/or primary means, etc. for several analytical requirements.
- To drive the tracking of important developments – policy and technical, in the sector and be able to inform other teams of the relevance of these, for their own work.
- To be able to plan, conduct and report on complex issues around improving sectoral carbon footprints through establishing a feasibility model for alternative fuel options.
- To be able to induct new tools and approaches in the analysis of the said sectors/sub-sectors.
- To be able to write high-quality first drafts of reports and analyses for internal and external circulation.
- To generate knowledge content – blogs, policy briefs at regular intervals.
- Support stakeholder engagement and relevant convening, including policy and technical exchanges among government officials, R&D facilities, subject experts, etc.
- Drive daily analytical requirements of the team in responding to short-turnaround requests or studies.
- To present research to key constituencies, advisory bodies, conferences & research institutes.
- To develop research networks locally, nationally and internationally in support of research programmes.
- Travel within India is likely to be periodic and presence in the field - meeting with stakeholders is an important part of the role.
If you believe that hydrogen has the potential to decarbonise the economy, and have interesting ideas on how it can happen, then we are looking for you!
- Master’s degree or PhD in engineering, science, economics or related field with specialisation in electrical engineering, energy engineering, energy economics or other graduate courses along these lines. A prior undergraduate degree in engineering or energy engineering would be desirable.
- Familiarity and a high degree of comfort with quantitative techniques. Certificate courses in specialisations relevant to the job role would be a bonus.
- Prior research experience on areas related to the hydrogen value chain will be an added bonus.
- At least two years of relevant work experience in the core energy sector that involves collection, analysis and evaluation of technical information. Policy engagement and project management by way of consulting roles would be desirable.
- Familiarity with industrial process and energy systems is must.
- Strong track record of project assistance and timely delivery of outputs.
- Experience in dealing with public sector stakeholders.
- Strong analytic skills including quantitative research methods and tools that are fit for purpose.
- Superior project management skills. Confidence to handle tasks and engage with stakeholders single-handedly would be highly preferred.
- Ability to conduct techno-economic analysis, cost & benefit analysis, sound knowledge of basic economic principles.
- Insightful and concise writing in English.
- Proficiency in word-processing and presentation tools.
- Willingness to learn new research and project management skills.
- Ability to adapt deliver under tight deadlines in a professional environment.
- Striving for rigour in research and quality in work output.
- Ability to effectively work in a team while being able to independently drive research with minimum assistance, when time demands.
- Ability to dig deeper into details, while also keeping a sense of the broader objectives and big picture.
- Willingness to learn, grow and develop at personal and professional front, at a rapid pace with a steep learning curve.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment.
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment, and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organizations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal opportunity employer and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, caste, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please do not contact individual researchers for any open position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us.