Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
Programme Lead – Energy Transition
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence, as well as responsibility, come together at CEEW
- You will get above-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Team/ Focus area
Senior Programme Lead
CEEW seeks to hire a suitable candidate for the position of Programme Lead for its Energy Transition team. The Energy Transitions team’s vision is to support India leapfrog to a clean energy future, albeit in a socially equitable and environmentally responsible manner. We generate evidence for change, engage with policymakers and private sector to devise and implement progressive policies, regulations and market mechanisms, and evaluate the impact of government initiatives on the ground.
The candidate will contribute to expanding research work on supporting accelerated deployment of utility-scale RE and examining prospects of new and frontier applications of RE in Indian markets. We are looking for an enthusiastic, skilled, and detail-oriented researcher, with a specific focus on identifying and addressing technical, policy, regulatory, financial and market hurdles that inhibit the accelerated deployment of renewables. Further, the position requires a comprehensive understanding of tariff mechanisms, central government and state-level policies and regulations, hands-on experience in stakeholder engagement (including discoms, electricity regulators, state governments and developers), understanding of consumer behaviour, and the power markets.
CEEW offers an intellectually challenging and conducive work environment, with a focus on research rigour, innovative thinking, and consensus building.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
- Conceptualise and implement new research projects, methodologies, and market solutions for renewable energy sector
- Actively monitor and engage on policy and regulatory developments such as ALMM, Green Open-Access, Electricity Rules, state RE policies etc., at national and regional levels, impacting uptake of RE in India.
- Undertake studies to assess evolving RE industry landscape and potential barriers, and propose innovative solutions in the form of policy amendments, new schemes, or regulations.
- Support states and relevant state agencies in fulfing their Renewable Energy ambitions across various schemes by providing implementation support towards creating enabling local ecosystem.
- Publish high-quality research reports, policy papers, issue briefs, memos, opinion-pieces, blogs etc.
- Develop trust-based relationships with key stakeholders, especially with discoms, ministries/departments, regulators, state nodal agencies, developers and civil society organisations etc.
- Lead project implementation by contributing towards preparing detailed activity plans and timelines, resource planning, stakeholder management, and donor engagement.
- Support Team lead in engaging with potential donors to raise funds on new ideas, programmes or initiatives.
- Lead team’s outreach efforts including organising webinars/physical events, representing CEEW in industry events, and writing op-eds, briefs and reports.
- Write memos, briefs and issue notes which could be circulated among senior Government officials and other internal and external stakeholders
- Building stronger ties with government, industry and institutional partners
- Master’s degree with a specialisation in renewable energy technologies, economics, public policy or related field
- Sound understanding of India’s energy markets and policy and regulatory environment
- Strong research background with an adequate understanding of research methods and quantitative skills
- At least 8 – 10 years of relevant work experience in the field of research, policy/industry engagement and project management in the area of electricity policy, electricity distribution, and renewable energy
- Prior experience of writing white papers, articles, policy briefs and research reports
- Strong track record of team and project management including timely delivery of outputs
- Demonstrable experience in stakeholder engagement at state-level and experience of working with public and private institutions within and outside India
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Proficiency in MS-Excel is a must. Understanding of STATA/R/Python and other data visualisation tools would be an added advantage
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to summarise and communicate the insights/findings in written and oral formats
- Proficiency in Hindi and English language
If you are passionate about supporting India’s Energy transition, this is the place for you!
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organisations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal opportunity employer and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, caste, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us. We appreciate your interest.