Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
Research Analyst – Power Markets
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence, as well as responsibility, come together at CEEW
- You will get above-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Team/ Focus area
New Delhi or Lucknow
CEEW seeks to hire a Research Analyst for its Power Markets Programme, which aims to inform and shape the evolution of power markets in India for a clean energy future. Supporting the transformation and digitalisation of power distribution companies (discoms) to become financially healthy and transition-ready through evidence-based and unbiased research is one of the key programme objectives.
We are looking for a curious researcher who can ask the right questions, conduct cutting-edge research on large data sets, and leverage integrated analysis and strategic engagement with key stakeholders to support and advance the digitalisation of the power sector. S/he should be a structured thinker and effective communicator with a strong research background.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
- Undertake robust quantitative and qualitative research to generate evidence and identify strategies that could help Indian discoms’ unlock the opportunities offered by digitalisation programmes such as smart metering initiatives. This includes but is not limited to (i) conducting a systematic literature review, (ii) framing research questions, (iii) identifying data needs and developing suitable data collection tools/formats, iv) conducting relevant analyses using appropriate quantitative and qualitative methods and (v) summarising the arguments in a coherent narrative in different formats.
- Study and apply new methodologies and techniques to analyse and visualise high-frequency data to identify new and meaningful use cases of such datasets.
- Regularly track, summarise and disseminate new market and policy developments in the smart metering space in India and internationally.
- Write high-quality research reports and generate other knowledge products such as presentations, memos, blogs, and policy briefs for different audiences.
- Build trusted relationships with key stakeholders, including discoms, industry players, and research institutions, for knowledge exchange and dissemination of research findings.
- Participate in relevant conferences, workshops, and training programs as necessary to communicate research findings and gain insights on new research in focus areas.
- Support and accompany team members for internal/external meetings, prepare minutes of the meetings and assist with any new and emerging activities, as needed.
- Assist the team in organising webinars, workshops and roundtable discussions as required.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in engineering, data science, energy economics, energy management or related disciplines
- 1-2 years of relevant research experience, specifically in managing and analysing large, high-frequency data sets, preferably from the power sector
- Experience in using statistical software - R/Python
- Experience in data cleaning and analysis of large secondary or primary datasets
- Knowledge of emerging Machine Learning and AI techniques (preferred)
- Strong analytical and research skills, particularly quantitative research skills
- Willingness to travel to field sites for data collection and stakeholder engagement
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write coherent and concise emails, opinion pieces, policy briefs, and reports
- Strong interpersonal skills and confidence to engage with government and private actors
- Willingness to learn new (research and project management) skills.
- Ability to adapt to a new environment and deliver under tight deadlines in a professional environment.
- Striving for rigour in research and quality in work output.
- Ability to effectively work in a team while driving research with minimum assistance, when time demands independently.
- Ability to dig deeper into details, while also keeping a sense of the broader objectives and big picture.
- Willingness to learn, grow and develop at personal and professional front, at a rapid pace with a steep learning curve.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment.
If you are passionate about supporting the digital transformation of electric utilities, this is the place for you!
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment, and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organisations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal opportunity employer, and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, caste, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us. We appreciate your interest.