Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
Research Analyst – Sustainable Livelihoods
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence, as well as responsibility, come together at CEEW
- You will get above-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Team/ Focus area
India has committed to a net-zero target by 2070, with imminent ambitious decarbonisation targets by 2030. Unless we align climate action with the country's economic growth and job priorities, we risk climate action getting side-lined in the wake of economic or employment distress. There is both a need and potential for climate action to generate a large number of jobs and fuel economic growth, conversations around which have thus far been very limited.
So far, the green economy discussions with regard to climate action have adopted a narrow view. Green economy is generally associated with renewable energy, electric mobility, and, lately, green hydrogen. While these are important, such a limiting view of green jobs ignores the job and economic potential that other aspects of the climate action and overall pursuit of a green economy may hold. In this study, we encompass the following four themes under the broader umbrella of green economy:
- Energy transition: large and small scale renewables, productive use of decentralised renewables, e-mobility, green hydrogen
- Bioeconomy: Land and forest based livelihoods (including but also beyond sustainable food production) including sustainable materials (bioplastics, biofertilisers, biofibers, etc.), biofuels from agro residue, etc.
- Circular economy: recycling and upcycling opportunities for non-biodegradable materials
- Nature-based Solutions: carbon-based/ecosystem services based revenue streams for cultivators, community dwellers and others.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
- Support in developing methodologies/framework for green jobs estimations.
- Review literature and collate data from primary and secondary sources
- Analyse large dataset using various methods and softwares.
- Assist in writing research reports/papers, briefs and issue notes, which could be circulated among industry associations, state and central government officials and other stakeholders.
- Assist the senior researchers in strategic outreach of the research outputs through engagement with a broader network of policymakers, industry and other stakeholders.
- Travel for work, whenever necessary, to conduct meetings, community engagements and collect primary data.
- Strong academic credentials, Master’s degree preferably in economics, public policy or in related fields such as development economics.
- Proficiency in using MS Office Suite.
- Familiarity with tools such as STATA, R, Python
- Strong writing, networking and communication skills
- Sharp and analytical mind with a willingness to explore new research areas, learn new research and project management skills.
- Ability to adapt and deliver under tight deadlines in a professional environment.
- Striving for rigor in research and quality in work output.
- Ability to effectively work in a team while being able to independently drive research if, and when, needed.
- Ability to dig deeper into details, while not losing sight of the broader objectives.
- Willingness to learn, grow and develop - both personally and professionally - at a rapid pace with a steep learning curve.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Strong drive and initiative, a self-starter.
If you are passionate about solving the people-problem in India's decarbonisation journey, we would like to speak to you. If you can conceptualise and communicate clear research on the issue, then we would definitely consider hiring you! If you can collaborate closely with others to make this happen, you are probably the candidate we are looking for.
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment, and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking various tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organizations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal opportunity employer and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, or caste. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We appreciate your interest.