Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
Programme Lead – Industrial Sustainability
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence, as well as responsibility, come together at CEEW
- You will get above-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Team/ Focus area
The Industrial Sustainability (IS) team aims to support India’s low carbon growth aspirations by advancing the uptake of green energy and resource efficiency practices. The IS team is working on several different initiatives that include energy transitions in the oil and gas sector, an assessment of alternative fuels like green hydrogen and biofuels uptake across difficult-to-decarbonise sectors in industry and mobility applications, developing optimal decarbonisation trajectory for the steel and cement sector, assessing the prospects on carbon capture utilisation and storage (CCUS) in India and characterising the industrial sector value chains to analyse various aspects such as carbon footprint, financial strength, resource requirements, and jobs supported.
The IS team seeks to hire a highly committed candidate to build and expand our programme in the above mentioned sectors as well as to support government engagements. The candidate should be flexible to work on multiple projects in parallel depending on the priorities of the team. This role demands high quality research to provide direction, support, and insights to the policy planners and industry captains towards decarbonisation options. The candidate should have an active and self-directed interest towards the assessment and production of alternative fuels including green hydrogen and derivatives, biofuels, CCUS, industrial decarbonisation and other related sectors. She/he should be able to perform resource assessments, material-energy balance, techno-economic analysis, emissions analysis, scenario comparisons, etc. The candidate should be willing to collaborate with other researchers in the respective domain and independently drive collaboration with international experts on the topic. Further, the candidate should have good oral and written communication skills and have the capability to independently drive government engagements, draft briefing notes and policy documents.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
- Conceptualise and implement new research projects, methodologies, and market solutions for decarbonising the industrial sector and developing new green energy sector.
- Develop models for material-energy balance, techno-economic analysis, energy systems optimisation and technology assessment and forecasting
- Conduct comprehensive research, utilising primary and secondary sources, to assess various technologies and develop business models for their adoption
- To be able to induct new tools and approaches in the analysis of the said sectors/sub-sectors
- Actively monitor and communicate key policy and technical developments in the sector
- To be able to write high-quality first drafts of reports, papers and analyses for internal and external circulation
- Publish high-quality research reports, policy papers, issue briefs, memos, opinion-pieces, blogs etc.
- Support stakeholder engagement and relevant convening, including policy and technical exchanges among government officials, R&D facilities, subject experts, etc.
- Drive daily analytical requirements of the team in responding to short-turnaround requests or studies
- Master degree in chemical, energy, industrial, production, mechanical engineering or other graduate courses along these lines.
- Sound understanding of India’s energy markets and policy and regulatory environment
- Strong research background with an adequate understanding of research methods and quantitative skills
- At least 8 – 10 years of relevant work experience in the field of research, policy/industry engagement and project management in the area of fossil fuels, alternative fuels and industrial decarbonisation
- Prior experience of writing white papers, articles, policy briefs and research reports
- Strong track record of team and project management including timely delivery of outputs
- Prior experience in consulting firms or think tanks would be preferred
- Ability and proven expertise to conduct techno-economic analysis, cost & benefit analysis, material-energy balances, sound knowledge of basic economic principles.
- Managing a team and delivering under tight deadlines
- Basic understanding of industrial sector and handling external (including government) engagements
- Proficiency in Excel is essential. Experience with software programmes such as Python, Matlab is a plus.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness for occasional travel to stakeholder offices or operations
- Willingness to learn new research and project management skills.
- Ability to identify creative solutions to vexing challenges in taking policy to action.
- Ability to adapt and deliver under tight deadlines in a professional environment.
- Striving for rigour in research and quality in work output.
- Ability to effectively work in a team while being able to independently drive research with minimum assistance, when time demands.
- Willingness to learn, grow and develop at personal and professional front, at a rapid pace with a steep learning curve.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment.
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by the industry or other similar organisations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal opportunity employer, and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, caste, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We appreciate your interest.