Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
State Coordinator (Air Quality)
Terms of Reference
Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW) has been Great Place to Work-Certified™.
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
We are proud to build careers in public policy and social impact.
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart ambitious people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence, as well as responsibility, come together at CEEW
- You will get above-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Designation offered State Coordinator
Team/Focus Area Air Quality
Reporting to Programme Lead/Associate
Location Ludhiana, India
CEEW’s Risks and Adaptation team seeks to hire a State Coordinator to work with the Air Quality team to expand its capacity to conduct field research in air quality management and agricultural residue burning in Punjab. The candidate would advance our research to create an impact in coordination with key stakeholders across government departments, pollution control regulators, and local self-government institutions. The ideal candidate must have prior knowledge of the key institutions working in this area as well as a sound understanding of their scope of work and jurisdictions.
The successful applicant will assist the team in building CEEW’s engagement with government and non-government institutions. The state coordinator will also act as a focal point for coordinating inter and intra-departmental activities aimed at reducing air pollution. In addition to the duties and responsibilities outlined below, the State Coordinator should be prepared, as and when necessary, to take on additional responsibilities and respond to events and developments that cannot be anticipated easily.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
- Take complete ownership of CEEW’s state-level stakeholder engagement (especially with gov’t departments dealing with Pollution Control, Agriculture, Crop Residue Management, and agencies implementing the National Clean Air Programme) and coordination related to state-level projects of CEEW in Punjab.
- Provide support with state-specific technical inputs to facilitate comprehensive policy, institutional, and programme analysis.
- Support coordination with the relevant stakeholders in the state including the identified departments to ensure effective implementation of the project.
- Collect relevant data and information from the identified state departments and provide appropriate feedback on the same
- Plan, organise and manage meetings, consultations, and other events together with the state departments
- Undertake targeted data analysis, prepare minutes of the various engagements, consultations, and meetings with the state, and contribute to report writing
- Coordinate technical exchanges and communication (point of contact) between the CEEW and the state
- Any other support or activities that may be required
- Master's degree in Public or environmental policy/ Development/ Agriculture/ Sociology or Social Work or any other relevant field relevant for air quality management.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experience in policy engagement, and project management, preferably in the areas of air quality management, stakeholder management, or Punjab’s agricultural systems.
- Deep understanding of Institutional Arrangements and Governance processes and experience in institutional capacity assessment and policy analysis
- Experience in building relationships with collaborators and government stakeholders
- Experience in engaging with interdisciplinary and inter-programmatic work
- Significant field experience of working with on-ground stakeholders, including consumers, farmers, agriculture extension organisations, communities, etc
- Familiarity with Punjab’s contribution to India’s agriculture sector, the state’s agricultural policy framework, and crop residue management is desirable
- Must be proficient in Punjabi and English
- Must have strong communication skills for effective, efficient, and adaptive verbal and written communication, and active listening
- Strong coordination and stakeholder management skills
- Strong proficiency with various quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to varied socio-cultural, ecological, and political contexts
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write coherently and concisely emails, opinion pieces, policy briefs, and reports
- Strong interpersonal skills, and confidence to engage with administrative, political, and business leaders
- Must have strong research skills – the capability to carry out systematic literature review, familiarity with research methods is a bonus
Millions of people living in Punjab bear the brunt of declining air pollution in the state. It is evident that improving the state’s air quality would require significant coordination between institutions that are tasked to monitor and control emissions from a range of inter-departmental sources. If you are passionate about cleaning Punjab’s air and improving the efficiency of key institutions then we would definitely consider hiring you! If you can collaborate closely with others to make this happen, you are probably the candidate we are looking for.
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment, and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organizations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal opportunity employer and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, or caste. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us. We appreciate your interest.