Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
Research Analyst - Sustainable Mobility
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence, as well as responsibility, come together at CEEW
- You will get above-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Research Analyst - Data Scientist
Team/ Focus area
New Delhi, India
The Sustainable Mobility team at CEEW is looking for a Research Analyst to join our dynamic team, dedicated to transforming road transport. Our focus spans various vehicles - from 2 and 3-wheelers to cars, buses, and medium and heavy-duty trucks. As part of our team, you will be crucial in fostering evidence-based policymaking that empowers and informs city, state, and national governments, nodal agencies, academia, policymakers, industry stakeholders, and the general public.
This position primarily defines, develops, and implements innovative data-driven solutions to understand and predict EVs adoption and usage patterns (driving and charging), future charging infrastructure requirements, and energy-transport nexus such as renewable energy integration, smart charging, vehicle-to-grid and green hydrogen. The role requires exceptional programming and analytical proficiency.
We welcome a broad spectrum of applicants: whether you're seasoned in your field, a recent graduate, or have specialised knowledge. What truly sets you apart is your enthusiasm for sustainable transportation, your curiosity to apply data science in addressing real-world challenges, and your eagerness to learn and evolve.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
Research and Project Management Unit Support
- Assist the team in generating snackable insights and compelling data visuals for the organisation’s social media platforms.
- Conduct analyses involving a combination of multiple complex data layers, network analysis and detailed visualisation of the outputs. These data layers will include information on public transit, socio-economics of population, people movement, road-safety, pollution, congestion, land-use, and survey data.
- Clean, manage, and analyze extensive data sets, generating valuable insights that address primary research questions and objectives.
- Meticulously extrapolate and validate data, analysis, and research conducted by analysts. Responsible for evaluating, organizing, and refining this data into comprehensive yet concise reports and other materials, ensuring clarity, accuracy, and effectiveness in communication
- Formulate, develop and apply predictive analysis, supervised and unsupervised learning and statistical (exploratory and confirmatory) techniques.
- Geoinformatics and geospatial analytics using GIS software (e.g., QGIS, ArcGIS)
- Ability to communicate findings through comprehensive reports and presentations tailored for diverse audiences.
- Support our stakeholder engagements by actively seeking new partnerships and maintaining existing relationships.
- To generate knowledge content – blogs, articles, briefs in regular intervals.
- Support specific projects and overall activity planning related to electric vehicle transition and sustainable mobility research. Facilitate collaboration and integration of efforts across various research teams.
- Masters in Science/Engineering/Technology/Economics
- 1+ years’ experience.
- Candidates who may not meet the minimum work and or education qualification experience requirement but possess comparable expertise and skills in relevant areas are also encouraged to apply. Such candidates should demonstrate a strong foundation in data science and a clear understanding of electric vehicle technologies, energy research or mobility analytics.
- Intermediate to preferably advanced levels of software and computer programming proficiency (e.g., SQL, JAVA, HTML, VBA, Python)
- Intermediate to preferably advanced quantitative, data analytics and modelling experience (e.g., R, SPSS, STATA)
- Intermediate to preferably advanced data visualization (e.g., Tableau, Power BI) and spatial analysis (QGIS or ArcGIS is a must).
- Must have strong research skills – capability to carry out literature review is a key requisite.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work on multi-disciplinary projects.
- Ability to think on your feet for solving complex and evolving problems in mobility.
Background and experience in one or more of the following sub-themes is a plus.
- Comparative techno-economic assessments of different powertrains and fuel, vehicle stock and flow dynamics, traffic flow and travel demand modelling
- Fundamentals of EVs technology, charging and their economic and environmental benefits
- Collect, compile and integrate diverse data sources, types and format spatial data to inform EV charging infrastructure roll-out, grid integration considerations, asset utilization, optimal sizing and siting.
- Awareness of EV policies at national to city/local levels.
- Charging infrastructure deployment strategies, especially along highway corridors for facilitating inter-city and long-distance travel.
If you are passionate about sustainable mobility, we would like to speak to you. If you can turn ideas into research problems to inform policies for sustainable mobility, then we would definitely consider hiring you! If you can collaborate closely with others to make this happen, you are probably the candidate we are looking for.
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organisations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal opportunity employer and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, caste, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible.
In addition to your resume and cover letter, we ask that candidates submit supplementary materials (attachments or preferably shared via cloud) to showcase your technical skills and previous work:
- Code Samples: Please provide examples of code you have written, which demonstrate your proficiency and approach to problem-solving in data science. These can be snippets or full programs, ideally related to data analysis, machine learning, or any projects pertinent to electric vehicles, transportation, energy, urban planning, econometrics.
- Spatial Analysis Projects: Please submit any relevant work or projects that showcase your skills in spatial data analysis. This could include GIS mapping, analysis of geographic data, spatial modelling, or any research or projects that involve the use of spatial data in the context of transportation, urban planning, electric vehicles, or environmental studies. Examples could be in the form of reports, maps, visualizations, or links to online portfolios or published works
- Repository: If available, include a link to your GitHub profile or repositories. This will give us an insight into your coding style, your contributions to collaborative projects, and your ability to document and manage your code effectively.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us. We appreciate your interest.