Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
Research Intern - Energy Transitions
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence, as well as responsibility, come together at CEEW
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Team/ Focus area
New Delhi, India
4 - 6 months
CEEW is looking for qualified individuals passionate about circular economy and potential green jobs’ opportunities brought by sectors emerging from circular economy, particularly post-consumer waste management. The aim of the project is to assess current and potential job opportunities in different phases of management of identified waste streams in Odisha and skill requirements of such opportunities, through research, stakeholder consultations and site visits. The project will require both qualitative and quantitative research, analysis and reporting the findings. In addition, the project will involve effective collaboration and meetings with industry, government, and civil society stakeholders at the state and sub-state levels.
CEEW provides an intellectually stimulating and supportive work environment that emphasises research rigour, innovative thinking, and strategic outreach. We are seeking a meticulous and motivated individual who contributes to the dynamic research environment at CEEW and is passionate about translating research into action. We recommend that the applicants visit the Circular Economy team page on the CEEW website for more details about our projects.
Job duties and accountabilities
Research and analysis
- Research: The research intern will be responsible for conducting thorough research into post-consumer waste management operations and its different phases. This will involve reviewing existing literature, and gathering data to gain a deeper understanding of the currents jobs and skills associated with each phase. The research will also include reviewing methodologies used for assessment of jobs particularly in the waste sector, correlating it with Indian context and its validation with stakeholders.
- Data collection and stakeholder consultation: The research intern will be responsible to identify relevant stakeholders across value chain of different waste streams including but not limited to Odisha. In addition, prepare questionnaires, carry out interviews and field visits to gather data on waste generation, its management in different phases and jobs created due to its management.
- Analysing data: The research intern will be responsible for organising and analysing data gathered to develop an estimate of number of jobs creation, existing and potential, due to circular economy sectors. This will involve using statistical and technical softwares (like python, SAM, excel etc.) and other tools to identify trends, patterns, and correlations in the data.
- Collaborating with other teams: The research intern will need to work closely with other researchers, agencies and entities engaged in waste management industry, civil society organisations and state officials. Collaboration will be essential to validate the research and verify the methodology used to assess the potential job creation and ensure that the research is relevant and valuable to those who will be implementing waste management operations.
- Strategic communications: The research intern must communicate their findings to various audiences, including industry and state stakeholders, researchers, policymakers, and the public. This will involve writing articles for academic journals, presenting at conferences, or creating educational materials for the public, with the help of CEEW's outreach team.
- Identifying new research opportunities: The research intern will be responsible for identifying new research opportunities in the field of circular economy. This will involve keeping up-to-date with the latest developments in solar photovoltaic waste and battery waste recycling, among others, and identifying areas where further research is needed to advance the field.
- Master’s degree in environmental engineering, environmental management or planning, urban planning, urban sanitation, waste management, or related field. Graduate candidates in these fields with proven track record may also be considered.
- 0-1 year. Candidates pursuing their Master’s can apply.
- Strong ability to identify and manage stakeholders and carry out consultations.
- Strong ability to organise, process, and analyse large data sets that are used and derived through stakeholder consultation, secondary research and software tools.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to summarise and communicate the insights/findings as reports and presentations.
- Strong technical expertise and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and understanding of programming languages like Python and other software for performing quantitative analysis/simulations.
- Proficiency in Hindi and English is a must; proficiency in Oriya is desirable.
- Willingness to work on multi-disciplinary projects.
- Willingness to learn new research and project management skills.
- Ability to identify creative solutions to vexing challenges in taking policy to action.
- Ability to adapt and deliver under tight deadlines in a professional environment.
- Ability to effectively work in a team while being able to independently drive the work with minimum assistance.
- Ability and willingness to dig deeper into details, while also keeping a sense of the broader objectives and big picture.
- Willingness to learn, grow and develop at a personal and professional front, at a rapid pace with a steep learning curve.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment.
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organisations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal opportunity employer and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, caste, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us. We appreciate your interest.