Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
Consultant - Power Markets
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence, as well as responsibility, come together at CEEW
- You will get above-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Team/ Focus area
New Delhi or Jaipur (Rajasthan), India
CEEW seeks to hire a Consultant for its Power Markets Programme, which aims to inform and shape the evolution of power markets in India for a clean energy future. Supporting the transformation of power distribution companies (discoms) to become financially healthy and transition-ready through evidence-based and unbiased research is one of the key programme objectives.
A successful applicant will work closely with the team to support the design and execution of robust research on topical themes such as institutional and regulatory innovation and reforms for augmenting discoms’ capacity to harness emerging opportunities in the power sector (such as open access) as it undergoes decarbonisation, digitalisation, and decentralisation. The candidate is expected to build trusted relationships with government stakeholders (discoms, electricity regulators, system operators) and other relevant organisations to help advance research and policy engagement for power sector transition. S/he should be a structured thinker and effective communicator with a strong research background.
In addition to the duties and responsibilities below, the individual should be prepared, as and when necessary, to take on additional responsibilities.
Job duties and accountabilities
- Undertake robust qualitative and quantitative research to identify evidence-informed strategies for augmenting discoms’ capacity to harness emerging opportunities presented by the clean energy transition. This includes but is not limited to (i) conducting a systematic literature review, (ii) framing research questions, (iii) devising questionnaires for key informant interviews/stakeholder consultations, (iv) traveling across multiple states for data collection and consultations, (v) conducting relevant analyses using appropriate qualitative or quantitative methods and (vi) summarising the arguments in a coherent narrative in different formats.
- Regularly track important developments (policy, regulatory, technical, and private sector) in the sector through rigorous literature review and share summaries with team members to promote mutual learning.
- Write high-quality research reports and regularly generate other knowledge products such as presentations, memos, blogs, and policy briefs for different audiences.
- Participate in relevant conferences, workshops, and training programs as necessary to communicate research findings and gain insights on new research in focus areas.
- Assist in building strategic partnerships and collaborations with peer organisations, industry, and government departments to ensure continued learning, growth, and impact at scale.
- Support and accompany team members for internal/external meetings, prepare minutes of the meetings, and assist with any new and emerging activities, as needed.
- A postgraduate degree with a specialisation in power, energy, renewables, energy economics, or related fields.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience in the power sector; experience on themes such as decarbonising industrial electricity demand, open access, discoms financial viability, and building institutional capacity.
- Strong research background with experience and proficiency in data analytics using Advanced MS Excel; proficiency in data analytical tools like R/Stat/Python will be a bonus.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write coherent and concise emails, opinion pieces, policy briefs, and reports.
- Sharp and analytical mind with a willingness to explore new research areas and learn new research and project management skills.
- Striving for rigour in research and quality in work output.
- Ability to effectively work in a team while being able to drive research if and when needed independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills and confidence to engage with administrative, political, and business leaders.
- Ability to adapt and deliver under tight deadlines in a professional environment.
- Willingness to travel to field sites for high-quality data collection and stakeholder engagement
If you are passionate about shaping the evolution of power markets in India, we would like to speak to you. If you have experience with regulatory innovation and discoms’ capacity building, we would consider hiring you! If you can collaborate closely with others to make this happen, you are probably the candidate we seek.
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment, and the candidate must show flexibility in undertaking various tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best standards adopted by the industry or other similar organisations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal-opportunity employer, and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, caste, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us. We appreciate your interest.