Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), New Delhi
Programme Lead - Climate Resilience
At CEEW, we are deliberate about what we stand for (and what we don’t stand for!) as an employer. So, if the below description strikes a chord, we would love to hear from you!
At CEEW, we build careers in public policy
- We offer strong visionary leadership – with emphasis on research and impact at scale
- We actively promote leadership by initiative
- We celebrate talent and ambition
- You will be surrounded by smart people who will challenge you and help you grow
- You will learn faster than your peers in other organisations
- Curiosity and irreverence, as well as responsibility, come together at CEEW
- You will get above-market remuneration
- We provide a safe space for all
- At CEEW, your life is your example for others
Team/ Focus area
Senior Programme Lead
New Delhi, India
CEEW is currently in search of a programme lead to join its Climate Resilience program to inform policy-making for the sustainable development of various tasks related to climate risk assessments, sectoral vulnerability assessments, climate-resilient infrastructure strategies, and the implementation of Nature-based Solutions to enhance resilience. The CRA team primarily concentrates on two main areas: i.) conducting detailed climate risk assessments using extensive geospatial tools and climate datasets and ii.) devising adaptation strategies for the most at-risk sectors and regions. In this context, CEEW is seeking a programme lead to primarily support projects related to developing resilience through conducting sectoral vulnerability assessments and implementation of detailed adaptation strategies. The programme lead will also be responsible for working on climate action plans at the state, district and city levels and conducting research on the socio-economic consequences of emerging climate risks. This work will require a lot of stakeholder engagement at all levels. The ideal candidate should possess expertise in data management, climate risk assessments, building adaptation strategies, experience in working with government stakeholders and implementing national and sub-national level frameworks. Proficiency in quantitative analysis tools would be advantageous.
About the focus area
The Climate Resilience programme at CEEW envisions a future where institutions, infrastructure, economies, and people are insulated from the risks of a changing climate. Backed by rigorous data analysis, integrated research, strategic communications and stakeholder engagement, our work is geared towards building climate resilience of people, infrastructure, ecosystems, and economies across different geographic scales by:
- Examining, identifying, assessing and predicting risks related to extreme climate events such as floods, droughts, and cyclones, variabilities in temperature and rainfall, and the compounding impacts of associated climate events at the national and sub-national levels.
- Building tools to assess community resilience and adaptation capabilities and help climate-proof lives and livelihoods through data-driven research and strategic outreach.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
- Support the Senior Programme Lead in the development of strategy and plan for the climate resilience programme at CEEW
- Build a network of donors and partners and demonstrate buy-in from potential funders and stakeholders (state governments, relevant central ministries/ agencies e.g., MoEFCC, NDMA) and play a key role in the fundraising process for the climate resilience programme
- Work with the Director, Research Coordination and Senior Researchers on specific research projects such as sector-level risk assessments under climate extremes, mainstreaming climate finance for mitigation and adaptation, climate security-related issues, cross-sectoral impacts of climate such as water, agriculture, energy efficiency, etc.
- Work closely with state governments to develop integrated energy, environment and water policies with climate at its centre
- Generate and pursue independent and original research ideas
- Develop plans for research projects and outline research procedures to be followed
- Extrapolate and verify data given by research analysts/programme associates, evaluate, organise and edit the data into comprehensive standard report forms
- Utilise internal and external databases and other research tools to create value-added research data
- Travel to project sites, when required, to conduct interviews or collect data for different research projects
Project and people management
- Expand the climate resilience team by assisting in hiring the right set of people at a Research Analyst and Programme Associate level to drive the strategy and execute the plan
- Coordinate the work of Research Analysts and Programme Associates and guide them on different research projects
- Ensure that project deliverables are submitted on time
- Present results of research at national and international conferences, meetings, seminars and workshops and through personal contacts and networks
- Assist Research Fellows and other Senior Researchers with financial reporting and budgeting for specific projects
- Perform other duties occasionally, which are not included above but which would be consistent with the role
- Assist Research Fellows and other Senior Researchers in developing related projects for strengthening and expanding the existing programme of research, presenting research to key constituencies, advisory bodies, conferences & research institutes
- Ph.D. or Masters in Climate Sciences, Climate change, Climate studies, Natural Resources Management, Environmental Studies or any related field
- 5-10 years of experience in the climate change domain, especially in climate change adaptation
- Prior experience of working on projects focussing on building climate resilience and implementing adaptation strategies, climate impacts on agriculture, water management and food security, and conducting sectoral climate risk assessments.
- Proven track record of publications in high-impact journals.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent grasp of the English language and written and oral communication skills.
- Competent in using statistical and RS/GIS tools. Knowledge of languages such as R/Python will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated abilities to manage multiple priorities, projects and internal/external resources in a fast-paced environment while meeting deadlines and quality standards.
- Striving for rigour in research and quality in work output.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment and being able to independently drive research with minimum assistance.
- The candidate should be willing to travel.
If you are passionate about leveraging data for creating decision-making toolkits that help in effective policy-making, we would like to speak to you. If you can help turn climate datasets into insightful analytics while also upskilling yourself in public policy space, you are probably the candidate we are looking for.
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks.
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organisations for similar roles.
CEEW is an equal-opportunity employer, and the selection process does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, caste, ethnicity, religion, or sexuality. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are advised to apply at the earliest possible.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us. We appreciate your interest.